So, I can now say I have experienced postpartum depression/anxiety.
It's why I changed the header of the blog to "Out of the Blue"; it's the way it hit me, and where I'm headed.
I have wanted to write about the experience, but with all it's complexities I hardly know where to start. On occasion there is still a vague feeling of angst in my chest. In the early days after my sweet Jack was born I spent a lot of time trying to figure the feeling out and be rid of it. Actually, I spent too much time at this, but I'll save the details of that for another post. The physiological "chaos" in me has been very real, but the fears and forebodings have not been. Anthony and I talked the other day during one of these anxious times. This definitely was not unusual, as Anthony has most faithfully and amazingly stood very firmly, hearing, seeing, and feeling the most painful parts of this sojourn. What was different this time was my desire to not study at length what could potentially be the source of the anxiety, or to dissect it and find rational solutions for worries that are not based in reality.
I've always heard that the way to determine a counterfeit piece of currency from the real thing is by studying the real money. There are simply too many types of the bogus. But learning the intricacies of the authentic turns the novice into a pro at identifying the truth. This entry is a study in the genuine, the multiple ways in which I can see my healing taking place. It is a moment to gaze, not just glance, at the realities that are so much more substantial than some ambiguous sensation in my chest. It is a raw list and in no way exhaustive. And for there to be a truth there must be a lie that it counters, so this list will in a way lay bare and reveal the tremblings I have faced in these days. But the truth and increasingly beautiful redemption of my reality is what is worth taking into account.
Here goes. . .
I can sleep in peace
I take care of Jack everyday at home by myself
I know its not a "faith issue"
I get up every morning, have breakfast and silly conversation, and dress Isabella for school
I hosted a Thanksgiving party in our home
I can operate a vehicle
I have hope for tomorrow, next week, next month, and next year
I laugh
I've gone back to work
Jack weighs 11 pounds
Jack sleeps in 6 hour stretches at night
Jack loves the sound of my voice and smiles at me all the time
I made it through two weekends in November without Anthony
I'm not afraid of a rainy day
I'm not afraid of a nap
I get dressed almost every day
I pick Bella up from school every day
I feel perfectly peaceful EVERY night before bed
I cook supper
I feel the junk in my chest even now . . . but I know it's not real
"I still see things that are not here. I just choose not to acknowledge them. Like a diet of the mind, I just choose not to indulge certain appetites." (John F. Nash, Jr.)
I am better everyday. That is the truth, my real currency to spend. These blessings are worth a further study.
7 comments:
Hey, welcome back. Took me a while to find you because I was typing in http and then www and it wasn't coming up. Anyway, got the right addy from "myspace". Your insights are powerful. I love the idea of examining the real. That is really, really powerful!! Great to hear your thoughts and look forward to more. Love you and Anthony and your precious little people so much!!
Gotta leave another comment on how much I love your "new look". I like the blog and need you to show me how to do the border thing. I have tried and tried but can't "get it". I'm not too "techy", I'm afraid. Oh well...Just had to tell you how much I like it!!
Speaking of courageous people, I think of YOU. Becoming a mother may be the most wrenching, identity-forming/altering event in our lives. So why is it that the only culturally approved responses involve gooshy, hallmark-card-type sentiments? I say, let it rip. Sometimes things need to fall apart so that we can build something new, something wonderful and beautiful and silly and strong... but most of all something that is our own, a life that we own and cherish, a life in which we don't just survive but we thrive. I am so proud to be your friend. I love you. I trust that you love me enough to forgive my ramblings on your blog. ;)
Praise God!! This is so awesome Jessi. I'm so glad that we got to talk on Saturday and continue to speak truth to eachother. You are such a blessing to me.
I love you!
god bless you jessi...i hear you and feel you...from a distance. more artwork coming your way. baby looks like baby boy bella in that pic!!
precious.
Jessi, this is my first visit to your blog and as usual with things pertaining to you, I am impressed. Thanks for speaking out of what's real and current in your heart. You have always been so honest, just another of your superpowers. We'll keep standing with you as you deal with your latest challenges. The thing about adult life is that most of us are dealing with things, sometimes pretty heavy things, while changing diapers, cutting the grass and trying to do a good job at work. I think the responsibilities we have as adults just make us dig down inside and find the strength to soldier on through it. Some of it we just leave behind us on the road of life and some of the stuff sorta just hangs there over our shoulder and we try not to pay it too much attention and just get on with our lives. We love you! Chuck (and Sherry)
I'm not much of a blog writer or reader. But this is the best post I've ever read. You've made my day with this and I'm sitting here in tears. Praise God from whom ALL blessings flow. I'm also so happy you e-mailed me. When I can process all that you said I'll write you back! I'm so glad we've "met." God is good... I'm going to write about you today I think.
Sue McRoberts
Post a Comment