Friday, March 10, 2006

Putting Down Roots

Since we moved into our house almost a year ago I have stared at the blank canvas of our back yard and dreamt of ways to fill it with flowers, shrubs, and trees; my own "secret garden". This past Saturday, we finally put the first plants in, and already I crave having my hands in the dirt again (not to sound like a Pike Nursery radio spot). We have had beautiful weather this week, and have spent as much free time as possible in the yard. What fun.

We planted six of these shrubs. They are Euonymus Japonica, AKA "silver queen". They will grow as high as 10 feet tall and be about 5 feet around. I can hardly wait!


Behind the silver queen is a layer of Leyland Cypress (if you can't tell, we are attempting to create a visual barrier between our backyard and our neighbors...love the neighbors, hate their back yard). This is one of them.


And this...THIS is my favorite. We planted a plum tree. When we came home yesterday from Mom's birthday festivities, these blossoms were blooming on the tree.

Ah...life.

No comments: