Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Another first


Look at Isabella. Isn't she cute? She loves to be in a dress and fancy shoes. She's performing one of her world famous curtsies.

This is not the clothes she started the day in.

Bella's school day runs from 7:45am to 2:15pm. I got a call from the school at 1:20pm today.

Bella had "an accident".

She has a change of clothes in the classroom that has been neatly folded and all but hermetically sealed, awaiting the day such an event should occur.

Time of accident: 1:20pm.
End of school day: 2:15pm.
Number of teachers wanting to change a wet kid for a school day with only 50 minutes remaining: 0.

After holding my crying beauty I tried to console her. It's alright, I said. No one's mad at you, I said. Everyone has accidents, I said.

I changed her clothes out of the soaked ones and into this little number.

Tears, legs, panties, and clothes now dry, we started talking again. Haven't other kids in your class had accidents yet? Looking wide-eyed, she shook her head left and right. No? Not one? Again with the shaking head.

Upon further reflection, she piped up with a little grin on her face, "Well, it's like my birthday. I was the first one in the class to have a birthday [August 21], and now I'm the first one in the class to have an accident!"

Value on a kid with that kind of bounce back AND an endless array of "quotable quotes": priceless.

No comments: