God,It’s the second night in a row that Jack has waked up in the middle of the night. Last night was at 2:30 and tonight it was 4:00. I want to thank you for giving us more hours of sleep tonight, and him as well. But it is so hard to know what the right thing to do is. Do I turn on a light? Do I change his diaper? Do I give him medicine for teething gums? Do I speak? Do I give him some milk? Do I turn on music to listen to? Do I do nothing and just wait it out? Will he keep doing this???
I know that this is just one of those "baby things" and that it is NOT the norm in any way. It just really is hard. I want to help him, but I want him to sleep. I also don’t want to worry that he’s never again going to sleep like he always has. Waiting for him to calm down and go back to sleep is like waiting to see who wins – him or me. It isn’t a fight or a battle. It just is what it is. I know these small struggles – "power struggles", even – really afford opportunities to build into Jack (and us) character. To let him have his way would be so much more comfortable sometimes, but I know in the end that doesn’t make him into the best person he can be.
God, will you comfort him? Will you, right now at 4:50 AM sing a song over him and bring him peace? Will you begin on this day, Friday September 5, 2008, begin to become real to him in the sweet way that you show yourself to children? I want to be his helper and his comforter, but he needs you in the darkness when I am not there.
"Peace, peace, wonderful peace flowing down from the Father above. Sweep over my spirit forever I pray in fathomless billows of love. Peace, peace wonderful peace flowing down from the Father above. Sweep over my spirit forever I pray in fathomless billows of love." You can comfort him in ways I never could. I don’t mean to be melodramatic. I know this is "normal" for kiddos to go through. But I also know that I want him to know you in all your fullness from now to forever. Send your Holy Spirit into Jack’s little room to dance and sing for him.
5:00 AM. Silence in Jack’s room. Wow. Thank you, Abba. Thank you so much.
2 comments:
I'm so glad you've recorded this sweet story. It'll be fun to reread as years go by. Love you.
This is precious! Thanks for sharing with us.
Post a Comment