Friday, September 04, 2009

A Priceless Gift

Its always fun to get a package in the mail. Today I watched the mailman drive into the driveway, get out, and give Anthony a big box. It was from my grandmother Jolene. Before I even opened I knew instantly that this box's contents would be priceless.

Inside this box was the motherload of handmade treasures from Grandma Jo (as I so affectionately call her). There was a beautiful plush pink hooded towel with a duck embroidered on it. There were precious embroidered onesies, one with "Ava" and one with "Costa" on it. Ava also now has three personalized cloth diapers which we'll use as burp cloths. There was a beautiful hand-stitched baby blanket with the alphabet and a bear. All of it is precious...and priceless.

My favorite item was a sweet pink bear, Ava's first stuffed animal, that Grandma Jo made. Around our house this bear is lovingly named "Grandma Jo Bear". Bella received a turquoise one as a wee thing and still sleeps with it EVERY NIGHT! Now Ava will have her very own for years and years to come.

Besides supplying me with years of handmade unique gifts, and giving me first a love of reading (which I know we share) through books she gave me that I still own simply inscribed "Grandmother Jolene", she has also led a life firmly secured to a Rock that holds. She is the picture of grace and dignity in the face of hardships not many lives have had to know. As I learn more about her, I love her more. She gave me my mom; nurtured her faith, helped to set her moral compass, and grandmothered all of us with love as her daughter now grandmothers her own daughters' babies.

Yep. Priceless gift. I couldn't ask for more.

Thank you for it all, Grandma Jo. The gifts smelled like you when they got here. I can't wait for you two to meet. Kiss Granddaddy for me.

2 comments:

Debbie C. said...

priceless indeed! That is so neat!!

DebbieP said...

What wonderful memories these priceless gifts are from a precious Grandma. Wow that is a wonderful gift, thanks for sharing it with us!